Monday 20 December 2010

Apple Maple Porridge (V) (NF) (EF)

I've been pondering over a dilemma recently.  I was wondering whether to upload this recipe at all.  I'm not a food stylist so I don't always know how to make food look pretty and porridge never looks pretty so I was wondering if the image of it might look off putting.  Then I realised that this recipe is so incredibly delicious that it would be unfair to deprive my blog visitors of this lovely stuff just because it doesn't look pretty.  In fact there are a fair number of recipes that fit in this category; the pics don't look that nice but the recipes are well worth trying out and taste really good.  Whenever I make this, people enter the kitchen and say "Wow, what's that lovely smell" and are shocked when I tell them it is porridge.  This makes such a nice breakfast and is a great winter warmer.  I once ate this before venturing out in snowy weather and it really helped me to stay warm outside.  You can make this recipe with ordinary cows milk but I prefer to use Oatly Organic Oat milk.  I haven't tried making this using other types of milk alternatives so can't vouch for them.  I make this in a frying pan and it takes less than ten minutes.  I've noticed the way I make porridge is thicker than most, but I just happen to like it that way.

You can view what my porridge looked like here:


Apple Maple Porridge

Half a red (gala or cox) apple, chopped
2/3 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 cups milk (or preferably oat milk)
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp raisins (optional)
1/2 tsp ghee (or butter)

- In a pan on medium high heat, melt the ghee, then add the apple pieces and stir fry until lightly golden brown

- Add the maple syrup (and raisins), then pour the oats all over the apples so that the oats spread out as one layer, then after about 20 seconds, use a heatproof spatula to fold the mixture so that the oats are at the bottom of the pan where the maple syrup can stick to it

- Add the oat milk (or other milk if you prefer), then stir the mixture after 1-2 mins

- When the oat milk has reduced and the oats have softened, pour the whole mixture into a bowl and serve

No comments:

Post a Comment