I would actually recommend that you add another flavour to these muffins and not just bananas. My mum says these muffins taste better when I add a few fresh blueberries to each muffin which is why I've written that in the recipe. Alternatively, sometimes I add a crushed walnut in each muffin (though obviously ignore that suggestion if you have a nut allergy). Dried cranberries or raisins are also nice. These things add an extra texture as well as flavour which I think makes the muffins more enjoyable. As usual, I use Doves Farm gluten free flour for this recipe.
125g Gluten free flour
60g butter (or margarine/spread)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp honey or maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 medium sized ripe bananas
a handful of blueberries (optional)
- Rub the butter and flour together (or mix together with a fork) until it resembles breadcrumbs
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas with a fork, then mix in the egg and honey/syrup and pour the whole thing into the bowl containing the buttery flour mixture
- Stir until the mixture is combined and no floury lumps are left, then spoon into muffin cases in a muffin tray
- If you want to make the muffins with blueberries or walnuts or other additional ingredients then add them in at this point- I half fill the muffin case with flour mixture, then add 3 blueberries, then fill the muffin case right to the top with more flour mixture because they wont rise very much
- Bake in the oven at gas mark 4 for 45-50 minutes and serve warm.