This is one of my favourite potato dishes. If you're not vegetarian, then I'd suggest eating these with roast chicken legs because they take roughly the same time to cook in the oven. I'd use roughly 9 new potatoes per person (depending on size, or only 4-5 if other veg will be served) if I were to serve this as part of a main course or else this can be made with larger white potatoes as well.
9 new potatoes
3 teaspoons olive oil
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
a pinch of black pepper
- Preheat an oven to gas mark 8
- On one side of each potato, make cuts that run down 3/4 of the potato and are spaced 2-3mm apart, then rinse the potatoes and put them in a pan of cold water
- Bring to the boil, then take the pan off the stove 13-15mins after placing it on there as this allows enough time for the bottom (uncut part) of the potatoes to become slightly tender without being mushy
- Drain the potatoes, then scatter them on a roasting tray (cut side up)
- In a bowl, mix the remaining ingredients, then brush over the top of all of the potatoes
- Place in the oven for 23 mins, then take out of the oven, brush on the remaining oil, turn the oven down to gas mark 7 and roast for a further 20 mins, by which time it should become crispy on top and ready to serve
NB: If you intend to roast this with marinated chicken legs, then the oven should be set at gas mark 7 throughout and the tray should be on the top shelf.